Greek Dictionary Words (l)
Greek words and definitions are taken from "Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible".
preach, say, speak (after), talk, tell, utter
- G2980. laleo, lal-eh'-o; a prol. form of an otherwise obsol. verb; to talk, i.e. utter words:--preach, say, speak (after), talk, tell, utter. Comp.
attained, accept, receive, take...
- G2983. lambano, lam-ban'-o; a prol. form of a prim. verb, which is used only as an alt. in certain tenses; to take (in very many applications, lit. and fig. [prop. obj. or act., to get hold of; whereas
G1209 is rather subj. or pass., to have offered to one; while
G138 is more violent, to seize or remove]):--accept, + be amazed, assay, attain, bring, X when I call, catch, come on (X unto), + forget, have, hold, obtain, receive (X after), take (away, up).
lamp, light, torch
- G2985. lampas, lam-pas'; from
G2989; a "lamp" or flambeau:--lamp, light, torch.
bright, clear, gay, goodly, gorgeous, white
- G2986. lampros, lam-pros'; from the same as
G2985; radiant; by anal. limpid; fig. magnificent or sumptuous (in appearance):--bright, clear, gay, goodly, gorgeous, white.
give light, shine
- G2989. lampo, lam'-po; a prim. verb; to beam, i.e. radiate brilliancy (lit. or fig.):--give light, shine.
be hid, be ignorant of, unawares
- G2990. lanthano, lan-than'-o; a prol. form of a prim. verb, which is used only as an alt. in certain tenses; to lie hid (lit. or fig.); often used adv. unwittingly:--be hid, be ignorant of, unawares.
- G2992. laos, lah-os'; appar. a prim. word; a people (in gen.; thus differing from
G1218, which denotes one's own populace):--people.
- G2993. Laodikeia, lah-od-ik'-i-ah; from a comp. of
G1349; Laodicia, a place in Asia Minor:--Laodicea.
- G3004. lego, leg'-o; a prim. verb; prop. to "lay" forth, i.e. (fig.) relate (in words [usually of systematic or set discourse; whereas
G5346 generally refer to an individual expression or speech respectively; while
G4483 is prop. to break silence merely, and
G2980 means an extended or random harangue]); by impl. to mean:--ask, bid, boast, call, describe, give out, name, put forth, say (-ing, on), shew, speak, tell, utter.
be destitute (wanting), lack
- G3007. leipo, li'-po; a prim. verb; to leave, i.e. (intrans. or pass.) to fail or be absent:--be destitute (wanting), lack.
- G3027. leistes, lace-tace'; from leizomai (to plunder); a brigand:--robber, thief.
make white, whiten
- G3021. leukaino, lyoo-kah'ee-no; from
G3022; to whiten:--make white, whiten.
- G3022. leukos, lyoo-kos'; from luke ("light"); white:--white.
- G3023. leon, leh-ohn'; a prim. word. a "lion":--lion.
grind to powder
- G3039. likmao, lik-mah'-o; from likmos, the equiv. of liknon (a winnowing fan or basket); to winnow, i.e. (by anal.) to triturate:--grind to powder.
- G3037. lithos, lee'-thos; appar. a prim. word; a stone (lit. or fig.):--(mill-, stumbling-) stone.
dearth, famine, hunger
- G3042. limos, lee-mos'; prob. from
G3007 (through the idea of destitution); a scarcity of food:--dearth, famine, hunger.
- G3043. linon, lee'-non; prob. a prim. word; flax, i.e. (by impl.) "linen":--linen.
- G3056. logos, log'-os; from
G3004; something said (including the thought); by impl. a topic (subject of discourse), also reasoning (the mental faculty) or motive; by extens. a computation; spec. (with the art. in John) the Divine Expression (i.e. Christ):--account, cause, communication, X concerning, doctrine, fame, X have to do, intent, matter, mouth, preaching, question, reason, + reckon, remove, say (-ing), shew, X speaker, speech, talk, thing, + none of these things move me, tidings, treatise, utterance, word, work.
(a plague) pestilence (-t)
- G3061. loimos, loy-mos'; of uncert. affin.; a plague (lit. the disease, or fig. a pest):--pestilence (-t).
- G3067. loutron, loo-tron'; from
G3068; a bath, i.e. (fig.) baptism:--washing.
- G3068. louo, loo'-o; a prim. verb; to bathe (the whole person; whereas
G3538 means to wet a part only, and
G4150 to wash, cleanse garments exclusively):--wash.
make havock of
- G3075. lumainomai, loo-mah'-ee-nom-ahee; mid. from a prob. der. of
G3089 (mean. filth); prop. to soil, i.e. (fig.) insult (maltreat):--make havock of.
vision, cause grief, grieve, be in heaviness...
- G3076. lupeo, loo-peh'-o; from
G3077; to distress; reflex. or pass. to be sad:--cause grief, grieve, be in heaviness, (be) sorrow (-ful), be (make) sorry.
grief, grievous, + grudgingly, heaviness, sorrow
- G3077. lupe, loo'-pay; appar. a prim. word; sadness:--grief, grievous, + grudgingly, heaviness, sorrow.
- G3083. lutron, loo'-tron; from
G3089; something to loosen with, i.e. a redemption price (fig. atonement):--ransom.
- G3084. lutroo, loo-tro'-o; from
G3083; to ransom (lit. or fig.):--redeem.
+ redeemed, redemption
- G3085. lutrosis, loo'-tro-sis; from
G3084; a ransoming (fig.):--+ redeemed, redemption.
dissolve, loose, melt...
- G3089. luo, loo'-o; a prim. verb; to "loosen" (lit. or fig.):--break (up), destroy, dissolve, (un-) loose, melt, put off. Comp.
Click here for more Dictionary!
© 1997-2070, Al M. Rogers, Jr.