Greek Dictionary Words (b-d)
ref: Greek words and definitions taken from "Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible".
cast, strike, throw...
- G906. ballo, bal'-lo; a prim. verb; to throw (in various applications, more or less violent or intense):--arise, cast (out), X dung, lay, lie, pour, put (up), send, strike, throw (down), thrust. Comp.
baptist, baptize, wash
- G907. baptizo, bap-tid'-zo; from a der. of
G911; to make whelmed (i.e. fully wet); used only (in the N.T.) of ceremonial ablution, espec. (techn.) of the ordinance of Chr. baptism:--baptist, baptize, wash.
- G908. baptisma, bap'-tis-mah; from
G907; baptism (techn. or fig.):--baptism.
- (Mat 3:7, etc., baptism)
- G909. baptismos, bap-tis-mos'; from
G907; ablution (cerem. or Chr.):--baptism, washing.
- G911. bapto, bap'-to; a prim. verb; to whelm, i.e. cover wholly with a fluid; in the N.T. only in a qualified or spec. sense, i.e. (lit.) to moisten (a part of one's person), or (by impl.) to stain (as with dye):--dip.
- G925. baruno, bar-oo'-no; from
G926; to burden (fig.):--overcharge.
grievous, heavy, weightier
- G926. barus, bar-ooce'; from the same as G922; weighty, i.e. (fig.) burdensome, grave:--grievous, heavy, weightier.
pain, toil, torment, toss, vex
- G928. basanizo, bas-an-id'-zo; from
G931; to torture:--pain, toil, torment, toss, vex.
- G931. basanos, bas'-an-os; perh. remotely from the same as
G939 (through the notion of going to the bottom); a touch-stone, i.e. (by anal.) torture:--torment.
kingdom, + reign
- G932. basileia, bas-il-i'-ah; from
G935; prop. royalty, i.e. (abstr.) rule, or (concr.) a realm (lit. or fig.):--kingdom, + reign.
- G934. basileios, bas-il'-i-os; from
G935; kingly (in nature):--royal.
- G936. basileuo, bas-il-yoo'-o; from
G935; to rule (lit. or fig.):--king, reign.
- G935. basileus, bas-il-yooce'; prob. from
G939 (through the notion of a foundation of power); a sovereign (abs., rel. or fig.):--king.
- G939. basis, bas'-ece; from baino (to walk); a pace ("base"), i.e. (by impl.) the foot:--foot.
- (Acts 3:3)
bear, carry, take up
- G941. bastazo, bas-tad'-zo; perh. remotely der. from the base of
G939 (through the idea of removal); to lift, lit. or fig. (endure, declare, sustain, receive, etc.):--bear, carry, take up.
deep (-ness, things), depth
- G899. bathos, bath'-os; from the same as
G901; profundity, i.e. (by impl.) extent; (fig.) mystery:--deep (-ness, things), depth.
deep, very early
- G901. bathus, bath-oos'; from the base of
G939; profound (as going down), lit. or fig.:--deep, very early.
- G956. belos, bel'-os; from
G906; a missile, i.e. spear or arrow:--dart.
bill, book, scroll, writing
- G975. biblion, bib-lee'-on; a dimin. of
G976; a roll:--bill, book, scroll, writing.
- G976. biblos, bib'-los; prop. the inner bark of the papyrus plant, i.e. (by impl.) a sheet or scroll of writing:--book.
- G984. blapto, blap'-to; a prim. verb; prop. to hinder, i.e. (by impl.) to injure:--hurt.
blasphemy, evil speaking, railing
- G988. blasphemia, blas-fay-me'-ah; from
G989; vilification (espec. against God):--blasphemy, evil speaking, railing.
blasphemer (-mous), railing
- G989. blasphemos, blas'-fay-mos; from a der. of
G5345; scurrilous, i.e. calumnious (against man), or (spec.) impious (against God):--blasphemer (-mous), railing.
saw, see, take heed...
- G991. blepo, blep'-o; a prim. verb; to look at (lit. or fig.):--behold, beware, lie, look (on, to), perceive, regard, see, sight, take heed. Comp.
(purpose) advise, counsel, will
- G1012. boule, boo-lay'; from
G1014; volition, i.e. (obj.) advice, or (by impl.) purpose:--+ advise, counsel, will.
be disposed, minded, intend...
- G1014. boulomahee, boo'-lom-ahee; mid. of a prim. verb; to "will," i.e. (reflex.) be willing:--be disposed, minded, intend, list (be, of own) will (-ing). Comp.
- G1039. bussinos, boos'-see-nos; from
G1040; made of linen (neut. a linen cloth):--fine linen.
- G1040. bussos, boos'-sos; of Heb. or.
[H948]; white linen:--fine linen.
be glad, God speed, joy (-fully), rejoice...
- G5463. chairo, khah'ee-ro; a prim. verb; to be "cheer"ful, i.e. calmly happy or well-off; impers. espec. as salutation (on meeting or parting), be well:--farewell, be glad, God speed, greeting, hail, joy (-fully), rejoice.
- G5464. chalaza, khal'-ad-zah; prob. from
let down, strike
- G5465. chalao, khal-ah'-o; from the base of
G5490; to lower (as into a void):--let down, strike.
- G5472. chalkedon, khal-kay-dohn'; from
G5475 and perh.
G1491; copper-like, i.e. "chalcedony":--chalcedony.
- G5475. chalkos, khal-kos'; perh. from
G5465 through the idea of hollowing out as a vessel (this metal being chiefly used for that purpose); copper (the substance, or some implement or coin made of it):--brass, money.
on (to) the ground
- G5476. chamai, kham-ah'-ee; adv. perh. from the base of
G5490 through the idea of a fissure in the soil; earthward, i.e. prostrate:--on (to) the ground.
- G5479. chara, khar-ah'; from
G5463; cheerfulness, i.e. calm delight:--gladness, X greatly, (X be exceeding) joy (-ful, -fully, -fulness, -ous).
- G5481. charakter, khar-ak-tare'; from the same as
G5482; a graver (the tool or the person), i.e. (by impl.) engraving (["character"], the figure stamped, i.e. an exact copy or [fig.] representation):--express image.
- G5482. charax, khar'-ax; from charasso (to sharpen to a point; akin to
G1125 through the idea of scratching); a stake, i.e. (by impl.) a palisade or rampart (military mound for circumvallation in a siege):--trench.
- (Luke 19:43)
deliver, (frankly) forgive, (freely) give, grant
- G5483. charizomai, khar-id'-zom- ahee; mid. from
G5485; to grant as a favor, i.e. gratuitously, in kindness, pardon or rescue:--deliver, (frankly) forgive, (freely) give, grant.
acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace (-ious)...
- G5485. charis, khar'-ece; from
G5463; graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstr. or concr.; lit., fig. or spiritual; espec. the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude):--acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace (-ious), joy liberality, pleasure, thank (-s, -worthy).
- G5486. charisma, khar'-is-mah; from
G5483; a (divine) gratuity, i.e. deliverance (from danger or passion); (spec.) a (spiritual) endowment, i.e. (subj.) religious qualification, or (obj.) miraculous faculty:--(free) gift.
- G5488. Charrhan, khar-hran'; of Heb. or.
[H2771]; Charrhan (i.e. Charan), a place in Mesopotamia:--Charran.
- G5490. chasma, khas'-mah; from a form of an obsol. prim. chao (to "gape" or "yawn"); a "chasm" or vacancy (impassable interval):--gulf.
tempest, foul weather, winter
- G5494. cheimon, khi-mone'; from a der. of cheo (to pour; akin to the base of
G5490 through the idea of a channel), mean. a storm (as pouring rain); by impl. the rainy season, i.e. winter:--tempest, foul weather, winter.
- G5495. cheir, khire; perh. from the base of
G5494 in the sense of its congener the base of
G5490 (through the idea of hollowness for grasping); the hand (lit. or fig. [power]; espec. [by Heb.] a means or instrument):--hand.
- G5500. cheirotoneo, khi-rot-on-eh'-o; from a comp. of
G5495 and teino (to stretch); to be a hand-reacher or voter (by raising the hand), i.e. (gen.) to select or appoint:--choose, ordain.
- (Acts 14:23, ordained; 2 Cor 8:19, chosen)
- G5502. cheroubim, kher-oo-beem'; plur. of Heb. or.
[H3742]; "cherubim" (i.e. cherubs or kerubim):--cherubims.
- G5510. chion, khee-one'; perh. akin to the base of
G5494 (as descending or empty); snow:--snow.
- G5514. Chloe, khlo'-ay; fem. of appar. a prim. word; "green"; Chloe, a Chr. female:--Chloe.
- G5515. chloros, khlo-ros'; from the same as
G5514; greenish; i.e. verdant, dun-colored:--green, pale.
- G5517. choikos, kho-ik-os'; from
G5522; dust or dirty (soil-like), i.e. (by impl.) terrene:--earthy.
- G5522. choos, kho'-os; from the base of
G5494; a heap (as poured out), i.e. rubbish; loose dirt:--dust.
coast, county, fields, grounds, land, region
- G5561. chora, kho'-rah; fem. of a der. of the base of
G5490 through the idea of empty expanse; room, i.e. a space of territory (more or less extensive; often includ. its inhab.):--coast, county, fields, grounds, land, region. Comp.
depart, put asunder, separate
- G5563. chorizo, kho-rid'-zo; from
G5561; to place room between, i.e. part; reflex. to go away:--depart, put asunder, separate.
- G5530. chraomai, khrah'-om-ahee; mid. of a prim. verb (perh. rather from
G5495, to handle); to furnish what is needed; (give an oracle, "graze" [touch slightly], light upon, etc.), i.e. (by impl.) to employ or (by extens.) to act towards one in a given manner:--entreat, use. Comp.
- G5531. chrao, khrah'-o; prob. the same as the base of
G5530; to loan:--lend.
- (Luke 11:5)
business, lack, necessary (-ity)...
- G5532. chreia, khri'-ah; from the base of
G5534; employment, i.e. an affair; also (by impl.) occasion, demand, requirement or destitution:--business, lack, necessary (-ity), need (-ful), use, want.
- (Mark 2:17, etc., need; Luke 10:42, needful; Acts 6:3, business; Acts 20:34, necessities; Rom 12:13; Phil 4:16, necessity; Eph 4:28, needeth; Eph 4:29, use; Phil 2:25, wants; Titus 3:14, uses)
- chreia:G5532 echo:G2192 (Mat 26:65, need have)
- G5534. chre, khray; third pers. sing. of the same as
G5531 used impers.; it needs (must or should) be:--ought.
- G5536. chrema, khray'-mah; something useful or needed, i.e. wealth, price:--money, riches.
- G5546. Christianos, khris-tee-an-os'; from
G5547; a Christian, i.e. follower of Christ:--Christian.
- G5547. Christos, khris-tos'; from
G5548; anointed, i.e. the Messiah, an epithet of Jesus:--Christ.
- G5548. chrio, khree'-o; prob. akin to
G5530 through the idea of contact; to smear or rub with oil, i.e. (by impl.) to consecrate to an office or religious service:--anoint.
- G5549. chronizo, khron-id'-zo; from
G5550; to take time, i.e. linger:--delay, tarry.
- G5550. chronos, khron'-os; of uncert. der.; a space of time (in gen., and thus prop. distinguished from
G2540, which designates a fixed or special occasion; and from
G165, which denotes a particular period) or interval; by extens. an individ. opportunity; by impl. delay:--+ years old, season, space, (X often-) time (-s), (a) while.
- G1142. daimon, dah'-ee-mown; from daio (to distribute fortunes); a daemon or supernatural spirit (of a bad nature):--devil.
- G1160. dapane, dap-an'-ay; from dapto (to devour); expense (as consuming):--cost.
also, and, but, moreover, now
- G1161. de, deh; a prim. particle (adversative or continuative); but, and, etc.:--also, and, but, moreover, now [often unexpressed in English].
also, and, doubtless, now, therefore
- G1211. de, day; prob. akin to
G1161; a particle of emphasis or explicitness; now, then, etc.:--also, and, doubtless, now, therefore.
accept, receive, take
- G1209. dechomai, dekh'-om-ahee; mid. of a prim. verb; to receive (in various applications, lit. or fig.):--accept, receive, take. Comp.
behoved, be meet, must (needs)...
- G1163. dei, die; third pers. sing. act. pres. of
G1210; also deon, deh-on'; neut. act. part. of the same; both used impers.; it is (was, etc.) necessary (as binding):--behoved, be meet, must (needs), (be) need (-ful), ought, should.
- G1166. deiknuo, dike-noo'-o; a prol. form of an obs. prim. of the same mean.; to show (lit. or fig.):--shew.
- G1169. deilos, di-los'; from deos (dread); timid, i.e. (by impl.) faithless:--fearful.
- G1172. deipneo, dipe-neh'-o; from
G1173; to dine, i.e. take the principal (or evening) meal:--sup (X -per).
- G1173. deipnon, dipe'-non; from the same as
G1160; dinner, i.e. the chief meal (usually in the evening):--feast, supper.
- G1218. demos, day'-mos; from
G1210; the public (as bound together socially):--people.
bind, be in bonds...
- G1210. deo, deh'-o; a prim. verb; to bind (in various applications, lit. or fig.):--bind, be in bonds, knit, tie, wind. See also
beseech, pray (to), make request
- G1189. deomai, deh'-om-ahee; mid. of
G1210; to beg (as binding oneself), i.e. petition:--beseech, pray (to), make request. Comp.
- G1194. dero, der'-o; a prim. verb; prop. to flay, i.e. (by impl.) to scourge, or (by anal.) to thrash:--beat, smite.
afterward, again, second (-arily, time)
- G1208. deuteros, dyoo'-ter-os; as the comp. of
G1417; (ordinal) second (in time, place, or rank; also adv.):--afterward, again, second (-arily, time).
after, always, among, at, to avoid, because of (that)
- G1223. dia, dee-ah'; a prim. prep. denoting the channel of an act; through (in very wide applications, local, causal or occasional):--after, always, among, at, to avoid, because of (that), briefly, by, for (cause) . . . fore, from, in, by occasion of, of, by reason of, for sake, that, thereby, therefore, X though, through (-out), to, wherefore, with (-in). In composition it retains the same general import.
- dia:G1223 - touto:G5124 (Mat 6:25, etc., therefore; Mat 12:31, etc., Wherefore; Col 1:9, cause)
- dia:G1223 - hos:G3739 (wherefore) ean:G1437 (3 John 1:10, if)
false accuser, devil, slanderer
- G1228. diabolos, dee-ab'-ol-os; from
G1225; a traducer; spec. Satan [comp.
H7854]:--false accuser, devil, slanderer.
- G1242. diatheke, dee-ath-ay'-kay; from
G1303; prop. a disposition, i.e. (spec.) a contract (espec. a devisory will):--covenant, testament.
appoint, make, testator
- G1303. diatithemai, dee-at-ith'-em-ahee; mid. from
G5087; to put apart, i.e. (fig.) dispose (by assignment, compact or bequest):--appoint, make, testator.
- G1225. diaballo, dee-ab-al'-lo; from
G906; (fig.) to traduce:--accuse.
- G1243. diairesis, dee-ah'-ee-res-is; from
G1244; a distinction or (concr.) variety:--difference, diversity.
- G1244. diaireo, dee-ahee-reh'-o; from
G138; to separate, i.e. distribute:--divide.
- G1245. diakatharizo, dee-ak-ath-ar-id'-zo; from
G2511; to cleanse perfectly, i.e. (spec.) winnow:--throughly purge.
deacon, minister, servant
- G1249. diakonos, dee-ak'-on-os; prob. from an obs. diako (to run on errands; comp.
G1377); an attendant, i.e. (gen.) a waiter (at table or in other menial duties); spec. a Chr. teacher and pastor (techn. a deacon or deaconess):--deacon, minister, servant.
contend, make (to) differ (-ence), discern...
- G1252. diakrino, dee-ak-ree'-no; from
G2919; to separate thoroughly, i.e. (lit. and reflex.) to withdraw from, or (by impl.) oppose; fig. to dscriminate (by impl. decide), or (reflex.) hesitate:--contend, make (to) differ (-ence), discern, doubt, judge, be partial, stagger, waver.
discern (-ing), disputation
- G1253. diakrisis, dee-ak'-ree-sis; from
G1252; judicial estimation:--discern (-ing), disputation.
cloven, divide, part
- G1266. diamerizo, dee-am-er-id'-zo; from
G3307; to partition thoroughly (lit. in distribution, fig. in dissension):--cloven, divide, part.
imagination, mind, understanding
- G1271. dianoia, dee-an'-oy-ah; from
G3563; deep thought, prop. the faculty (mind or its disposition), by impl. its exercise:--imagination, mind, understanding.
corrupt, destroy, perish
- G1311. diaphtheiro, dee-af-thi'-ro; from
G5351; to rot thoroughly, i.e. (by impl.) to ruin (pass. decay utterly, fig. pervert):--corrupt, destroy, perish.
- G1312. diaphthora, dee-af-thor-ah'; from
taught, which . . . teacheth
- G1318. didaktos, did-ak-tos'; from
G1321; (subj.) instructed or (obj.) communicated by teaching:--taught, which . . . teacheth.
- G1321. didasko, did-as'-ko; a prol. (caus.) form of a prim. verb dao (to learn); to teach (in the same broad application):--teach.
- en:G2258 - didasko:G1321 (Mat 7:29, etc., taught)
bestow, give, granted...
- G1325. didomi, did'-o-mee; a prol. form of a prim. verb (which is used as an altern. in most of the tenses); to give (used in a very wide application, prop. or by impl. lit. or fig.; greatly modified by the connection):--adventure, bestow, bring forth, commit, deliver (up), give, grant, hinder, make, minister, number, offer, have power, put, receive, set, shew, smite (+ with the hand), strike (+ with the palm of the hand), suffer, take, utter, yield.
- G1341. dikaiokrisia, dik-ah-yok-ris-ee'-ah; from
G2920; a just sentence:--righteous judgment.
just, meet, right (-eous)
- G1342. dikaios, dik'-ah-yos; from
G1349; equitable (in character or act); by impl. innocent, holy (absol. or rel.):--just, meet, right (-eous).
- G1343. dikaiosune, dik-ah-yos-oo'-nay; from
G1342; equity (of character or act); spec. (Chr.) justification:--righteousness.
free, justify (-ier), be righteous
- G1344. dikaioo, dik-ah-yo'-o; from
G1342; to render (i.e. show or regard as) just or innocent:--free, justify (-ier), be righteous.
judgment, justification, ordinance, righteousness
- G1345. dikaioma, dik-ah'-yo-mah; from
G1344; an equitable deed; by impl. a statute or decision:--judgment, justification, ordinance, righteousness.
- G1347. dikaiosis, dik-ah'-yo-sis; from
G1344; acquittal (for Christ's sake):--justification.
judgment, punish, vengeance
- G1349. dike, dee'-kay; prob. from
G1166; right (as self-evident), i.e. justice (the principle, a decision, or its execution):--judgment, punish, vengeance.
- G1375. diogmos, dee-ogue-mos'; from
- G1377. dioko, dee-o'-ko; a prol. (and caus.) form of a prim. verb dio (to flee; comp. the base of
G1249); to pursue (lit. or fig.); by impl. to persecute:--ensue, follow (after), given to, (suffer) persecute (-ion), press toward.
break through (up)
- G1358. diorusso, dee-or-oos'-so; from
G3736; to penetrate burglariously:--break through (up).
double, two-fold more
- G1362. diplous, dip-looce'; from
G1364 and (prob.) the base of
G4119; two-fold:--double, two-fold more.
- G1363. diploo, dip-lo'-o; from
G1362; to render two-fold:--double.
- G1364. dis, dece; adv. from
G1417; twice:--again, twice.
- G1378. dogma, dog'-mah; from the base of
G1380; a law (civil, cer. or eccl.):--decree, ordinance.
please, to think...
- G1380. dokeo, dok-eh'-o; a prol. form of a prim. verb doko, dok'-o (used only as an alt. in certain tenses: comp. the base of
G1166) of the same mean.; to think; by impl. to seem (truthfully or uncertainly):--be accounted, (of own) please (-ure), be of reputation, seem (good), suppose, think, trow.
- G1381. dokimazo, dok-im-ad'-zo; from
G1384; to test (lit. or fig.); by impl. to approve:--allow, discern, examine, X like, (ap-) prove, try.
experience (-riment), proof, trial
- G1382. dokime, dok-ee-may'; from the same as
G1384; test (abstr. or concr.); by impl. trustiness:--experience (-riment), proof, trial.
- G1383. dokimion, dok-im'-ee-on; neut. of a presumed der. of
G1382; a testing; by impl. trustworthiness:--trial, trying.
- G1384. dokimos, dok'-ee-mos; from
G1380; prop. acceptable (current after assayal), i.e. approved:--approved, tried.
- G1430. doma, do'-mah; from demo (to build); prop. an edifice, i.e. (spec.) a roof:--housetop.
bond (-man), servant
- G1401. doulos, doo'-los; from
G1210; a slave (lit. or fig., invol. or vol.; frequently therefore in a qualified sense of subjection or subverviency):--bond (-man), servant.
- G1391. doxa, dox'-ah; from the base of
G1380; glory (as very apparent), in a wide application (lit. or fig., obj. or subj.):--dignity, glory (-ious), honour, praise, worship.
- G1410. dunamai, doo'-nam-ahee; of uncert. affin.; to be able or possible:--be able, can (do, + -not), could, may, might, be possible, be of power.
mighty, miracle, power...
- G1411. dunamis, doo'-nam-is; from
G1410; force (lit. or fig.); spec. miraculous power (usually by impl. a miracle itself):--ability, abundance, meaning, might (-ily, -y, -y deed), (worker of) miracle (-s), power, strength, violence, mighty (wonderful) work.
- G1416. duno, doo'-no; or dumi, doo'-mee; prol. forms of an obs. prim. duo, doo'-o (to sink); to go "down":--set.
both, twain, two
- G1417. duo, doo'-o; a prim. numeral; "two":--both, twain, two.
Click here for more Dictionary!
© 1997-2070, Al M. Rogers, Jr.